11/29/16

An Auspicious Day (plus page 4)

Today, for the first time in over two months, we have two vehicles with no check engine lights on!! Of course, this may change at any time, but for right now, I think we have it licked. Until today, the longest the check engine lights stayed off in either vehicle was 3 days. Most of the time, they came back on before I got home from the mechanic's.

I really hadn't realized how stressful it is not having dependable, running vehicles...and how stressful it is not being able to fix said vehicles, no matter how hard you try. I was very fortunate to go directly from an early/mid-80s car (that I could fix myself--no computers) to a brand-new truck (that I couldn't work on--computers) that has reliably run the last 12 years with only one major repair before now. This year my luck ran out...and I couldn't handle the constant uncertainty of when and if the truck or our new-to-us car (that I can't work on--more computers) would break down again.

Without working vehicles, our lives shuddered to a halt. We haven't been to church since September. I've barely done any food shopping. I've had to cancel appointments. All our focus has been on making sure that Danny made it to work each day...and I failed at that once or twice.

All of which really made me reconsider the effect of the uncertainty of war on a civilian population.

Right now, I have the ability to keep fixing our cars without having to worry about non-available parts. Right now, I can go to the store and be fairly certain that I can buy most if not all of the items on my shopping list. Right now, I know that if I flip the light switch, the electricity will be there to illuminate the room. Right now, I know we have access to clean running hot and cold water. Right now, I know we are (fairly) safe at home.

But what if I couldn't depend on those things? I just about gave in to depression trying to fix those **** cars. I hate to think of myself as some fragile snowflake, but I seriously need to toughen up. If I can't handle the stress of two months of broken cars, how on earth would I handle a broken, struggling country at war?

Thoughts to ponder...

On that note, here is page 4 of the Guinea Gold Newspaper. As ever, click to enbiggen:

2 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

As upset as we may get at times, I've found that normal folks always manage to rise to the occasion (and you sound pretty normal to me)! - lol

Catherine said...

Normal?! Gorges, bite your tongue! Lol!

(BTW, I may have spoken too soon. The truck's check engine light came on today...but it's been windy and Danny had just gassed up, so I'm hoping that is all it is. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, other superstitious actions.)