10/28/16

Recipe: Hillbilly Crab Cakes


I don't remember where I originally found this recipe, so I can't give proper credit. This is a good recipe for using up leftover bread or summer squashes that were a bit too prolific.

Hillbilly Crab Cakes
2 cups shredded summer squash (zucchini, yellow, crookneck)
1 cup bread crumbs**
1 egg, beaten
1 TBSP Old Bay Seasoning
4-5 chopped green onions
1 TBSP mayonnaise
1 tsp prepared mustard

Mix all ingredients together. Pour +/- 1/4" oil into skillet and heat over medium heat. When oil is hot, form mixture into patties and fry until light brown, turning once. Good with tartar sauce.

**I put my stale bread slices into the blender and pulse them until about half is bread crumbs and the other half is still chunky. The chunky bread will soak up the seasonings and give more texture to the crab cakes.

Enjoy!

One interesting thing that trying to live with WW2 rationing (especially with the election/geopolitical circus currently dominating our news feed) has really driven home is that life doesn't stop just because resources are limited. When you read books about wartime, it seems like it's all action, all the time. No one ever talks about doing the laundry, trying to keep the cars running, or the mundane, everyday stresses of trying to juggle home and work while coping with the stresses brought on by the political climate.

We have one more week of the Broken Car Shuffle, God willing. The car parts finally got here, so Monday the car goes in for wheel bearings and ABS, and Wednesday the truck goes in for the evap. canister. Then HOPEFULLY, we will be done with car repairs and be able to get on with our lives...and I'll finally have the time to put into this blog!

I have grand plans of being able to get back to working on our books as well (Danny has until January to make significant progress on his Grand Canyon book, and I've blocked out another novel.) I'm also going to be concentrating on getting the last of the house finished (flooring and the kitchen) as well as making significant progress on the greenhouse before spring. We've been trying to attend an Orthodoxy 101 series at the church we've been going to, but have missed the last two classes because of the ongoing car problems. I'm looking forward to being able to attend the rest of the classes and make a decision whether or not to join the church. 

(To those who read me before, I didn't leave the Quakers; they left me. When a Christian group gets to the point that mentioning Jesus is considered "triggering" or "Politically Incorrect" but they have no problem accepting any other belief system out there, I have no time for them. I want a church that I can depend on, that won't change their standards or beliefs based on the current fads or fashions. I'm not interested in a social club or a feel-good/self-help group. Danny and I read Kallistos Ware's book and decided this might be what we were looking for. Hence, inquiry classes.)

There you have it. I hope everyone out there in bloggerland has a great weekend. See you next week!

5 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I read a long time ago that you don't even have to be Christian to be Quaker, you just have to believe in a "higher power." I don't know if it's true, but I thought the source seemed reliable at the time.

Catherine said...

It didn't used to be like that. They were very firmly Bible based for centuries. The 1960s were the death knell of the Conservative Unprogrammed Quakers.

Have a good weekend, Gorges!

deborah harvey said...

hey, catherine,
my husband is fr. john harvey.
we are at Saints Peter and Paul Ukrainian Orthodox Church in youngstown, ohio.
who is your priest?

a parishioner said to me we [Orthodoxy] would have to marry homosexual people. i told her it would never happen. she said we would have to pay tax if we were not compliant. i said we'll pay the taxes.
after all, the Orthodox have to pay the dhimmi tax to the moslems in places where we are allowed to live, and our heads are chopped off, or worse where there is persecution,
a few taxes may not kill us and it is the least we can do for Jesus.
the Church has been and is enduring persecution, but the Church will not change.
'thou are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek'.

Catherine said...

Matushka Deborah--We're at St. Athanasius (OCA), Nicholasville, right now; Fr. Justin Patterson.

I told my husband that the protestant churches were like the beginning of the Wizard of Oz, where everything was sepia toned...and then the door opened on the Orthodox church and suddenly everything was in brilliant color. I think it is so neat seeing the parts of the services I grew up with in their proper setting; now it all makes sense!

There is something humbling about a church that has remained essentially the same for almost two millenia. There is just so much to take in.

deborah harvey said...

husband says St.Athansius is a good place, knows the founding priest who went to the OCMC.
i came up in the Bible belt and when i was baptized and chrismated, the Bible became an open book--i thought i knew it until then. it was all new to me!