10/12/16

Life Imitating Art?


Some of the top stories on Drudge (just below the election circus) are a trio: Putin cancels Paris trip as diplomatic crisis over Syria deepens, Russia's top propagandist says US behaviour could have 'nuclear' implications, and Russian Government Officials Told To Immediately Bring Back Children Studying Abroad.

This doesn't look good.

Who would have thought we would come to the edge of another world war over a conflict in Syria, of all places? But then, the excuse to start WW1 was an assassination in Serbia, so I guess any excuse will do once government's minds are made up.

I've been doing my little experiment for about three weeks now. I've learned some things already. For example: Rationing is more of an annoyance than the great deprivation that I had assumed it to be; Eggs are gold when food is scarce; and "Soap" recipes on the internet aren't worth the paper they're printed on (more on this later.)

The beating of the war drums is once again getting louder. It may fade back down, or it may explode into armed conflict...but this time, it will be a conflict where everyone has nukes. Which makes me feel the necessity of preparing for war...World War 3, not just re-enacting the conditions of World War 2. I'm hoping diplomats from both our country and Russia can put a stop to all of this. But I think I need to explore our options, just in case they continue down the same reckless path. That means making sure things work, instead of just trying to follow guidelines from the last time the lunatics took over the asylum. (I'm still going to follow rationing...I'm just also going to explore other things that would need to be done if there were another war.)

Britain civilians got almost a year's reprieve from the time war was declared in 1939 until WW2 kicked into high gear (for them) with the Blitz in 1940. That was almost a year to prepare, both mentally, materially, and physically. I'm hoping...well, I'm hoping everyone in charge starts acting like adults, but barring that, I'm hoping we civilians get at least that long to prepare for whatever is to come.

8 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

You may well have chosen a fitting time for your experiment.

Catherine said...

Unfortunately, that's what I'm thinking, too.

Vicki said...

Knowing the chances of those in charge acting like grownups is slim and none, I am kicking my efforts of preparedness into high gear.

Catherine said...

Vicki, I think you are very wise to do that.

Stephen Tuck said...

"Rationing is more of an annoyance than the great deprivation that I had assumed it to be". Interestingly, I just finished reading George Orwell's book about living in poverty ('Down and Out in Paris and London') where he makes exactly the same point. 'You thought poverty would be terrible; it is merely squalid and boring'. Really looking forward to reading your blog in more detail.

Catherine said...

Stephen--I've never read that one. I'll have to pick it up next time we get by the library. Thanks for the book recommendation and for stopping by!

Stephen Tuck said...

No problem Catherine :) Also, have you ever seen "Foyle's War", that BBC series set in southern England during WW2? One of the constant themese in it is the effects of rationing including petty crime and deceit. Also, it's REALLY well done.

Catherine said...

I'm looking forward to watching that. I added a link to the first episode to my sidebar, for later...and so anyone else who is interested will find it.

I think it is interesting that the British integrated their war experience into their culture to the point that it is iconic, yet here in America we have pretty much let the experiences and the lessons of WW2 fall by the wayside.