9/5/16

Where to Start: Why Are We Doing This???


That's a good question...let me explain. (pause.) No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Lots of people out there in the blog-o-sphere, joined recently by various Governments, have been advising civilians to stock up/prep/homestead/whatever you want to call it. But after you've dutifully secured your can-o-seeds, your 5 gallon pails of bacon and beans, and your stash of ammo to fight the zombies...well, then what? No one really talks about how to cope with limited or no food, clothing, gasoline, or electricity.

In other words, how do you cook your bacon and beans? How do you get to work when there is very little gasoline available? How do you cope when the store shelves are empty? Do you know how to grow your own food? What happens when you can't get new clothing? Can you cope with a very limited diet of very limited food?

Inquiring mind wanted to know.

Of course, I researched food rationing first. Because...food! I loves me my food!

Everyone (at least, everyone who didn't sleep through history class) knows about WW2 Britain, Keep Calm and Carry On, ration books both in Britain and the USA, Rosie the Riveter, and all that. One thing I didn't know was that the population of Britain was healthier during the years of rationing than before or since. Infant mortality dropped, non-combat deaths dropped, obesity was nonexistent: People were just healthier.

Turns out not eating huge amounts of food, walking or biking to save gasoline, and having a purpose in life are good for you!  Who Knew???

I could go for "obesity non-existent". I could really go for "healthier!" And as an added bonus, the less food I buy, the more money I save! What's not to love about that? And...and...I could actually practice practicing my preps!! Sign me up!!!

But wait! There's more.

Food wasn't the only thing rationed. Clothing was rationed. And fuel.

Well, I guess I could do without new clothes for a year (with a guilty glance at my stuffed-to-overflowing closet.) But, wait! I haven't bought this year's Christmas dress yet! And if the "rationed food" thing actually does lead to the "obesity nonexistent" thing, I'm going to want some new clothes! But then, war time civilians would have gone through the same thing. If they coped, I can cope. And once again, fewer clothes bought means more money in our pocket. Okay, sign me up. (sigh.)

Next. Fuel.

Bo-ring! As part of the house rehab, we switched from cooking on an electric range to cooking on a kerosene stove. We get Jet A (Kerosene) for free from my husband's work. Free is good. Turns out kerosene stoves is good, too. And kerosene heaters. All I'd have to worry about with fuel rationing is electricity and gasoline. Pfft. Shut off a couple of lights, not run to town that often. How hard can it be? There probably wont be much of that "less fuel equals more money" thing, but hey, I could be wrong.

Okay, I'm in. Husband says he's in. Daughter says she's in.

(Looks around.) Now what?



4 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Now that everyone knows how well prepared you are. When hard times come, they'll all come to your door wanting you to feed, clothe and shelter them. Some of them may even knock you over the head and steal everything you have. Now see; there's a cloud to every silver lining! lol (Congrats on thinking ahead.)

Catherine said...

Gorges, everyone knows the really well prepared preppers are up in the Redoubt. 'Round here, we're just a bunch 'o hillbillies with nothin' worth havin', and too stupid to think our way out of a pill bottle. Just ask Kevin Williamson (Haugh, spit.)

On a more serious note, if/when this hand basket arrives in hell, I'm more worried about the government and its depredations than hordes of zombies. The zombies know that food grows in sealed packages and is delivered by food fairies wearing FEMA jackets. Besides, I don't think zombies would get too far trying to carry away our garden beds and fruit trees...if they even get this far from the cities. (They're too afraid of hearing banjo music.)

kymber said...

Catherine...i think you are right about the zombies and government. it's one of the reasons we moved to this island - very small population and no one in the entire world could care less about it! we have hundreds of small islands in our river which leads to the ocean and we have "garden-bombed" several of them....taken extra seed and seed potatoes and planted them on these islands just in case the zombies make it here. our 2 fishing villages have a combined total of about 60 people....it wouldn't be hard to show them how to grow their own food (i wish more of them were interested but people get pretty interested in things when the grid goes down!).

we are trying to live our lives on being sustainable...growing and preserving as much of our own food as possible...and getting the rest from nature. so far we have frozen a 1litre bag of fresh wild blackberries...some as big as your thumb....and my husband catches fresh trout every day during trout season. then there's mackeral, bass, snails, clams and mussels that we freeze during the year. then there's the fact that he works for Lobsters R Us - and everyone in our 2 villages works for them. so we get the freshest lobster and crab at the beginning of the season and freeze them for winter. plus we have cold enough winters and enough snow to keep everything requiring refrigeration during the winter, kept.

so we have a saying/motto: if it's gone and we can't buy it then we'll have to live without it. have you tried family wipes yet???? it can sure save on space when stockpiling toilet paper. and using old socks/towels/tshirts as rags for wiping up messes and spills. my best recommendation (and one that berkey should be paying me for is to have a rainbarrel/rainwater catchement system in place and a life-long supply of berkey filters. you don't need the towers - you can build bigger ones out of 5gallon buckets! but the filters are worth the cost!)

i am really enjoying your blog!

Catherine said...

Kymber--BRILLIANT!! I am in awe of your set-up.

What are family wipes???? Be back, gotta go Google...

Ah, that's what family wipes are! I personally would prefer a bidet, but our composting toilet wouldn't behave properly then. I'll keep them in mind just in case the limited toilet paper becomes an issue.